Monday, 7 April 2014

Back Where I Come From: with V from Life +1

As you read this I am winging my way back to the UK for the start of my 6 month stint as a repat. I'll have probably said a teary goodbye to Mr Tide in hot, sweaty Dar es Salaam airport and will be firmly ensconced in my aisle seat; trying to get some shut-eye or watching a bad film. Which is why you get the pleasure of V's company. She blogs at Life +1, a blog I was super-pleased to stumble across earlier this year. V has experience both as an expat and a repat, which makes her perfect to kick-start this series of guest posts about 'home'. Give her a warm welcome; she's lovely!!


Honky-tonk is alive and well.
Everyone knows someone who is working on a farm.
The steaks are real, and they dont cost a fortune.
Spring and Fall are shorter than a pair of daisy dukes.

Its normal to have a boy pick a girl up for a date with a shotgun in his truck.


Thats back where I come from in Missouri, USA.

Then a lot of serendipitous stuff happened, and I became an expat. I traveled to many countries. And then, I repatriated to a new city.

So where is home now?

Weve all heard that old saying Home is where the heart is. While that may be true for some people, I dont believe that homeis a perfectly defined term.

In fact, I dont like the idea of one size fits allfor anything except maybe Michael Stars tee shirts which fit me quite nicely

I leave piece of my heart in all the places Ive called home. Missouri (USA), Kansas (USA), Frimley (UK), Atlanta (USA).


There are things I love about each of my homes. The culture and history of England. The wide open spaces and laid back rhythm of Missouri. The warm, sunny climate of Atlanta.

Today, home is a place where I feel loved and accepted for who I am. And that place is wherever E (my husband) and Little Man (my son) are. Oh yes, and of course this fur-bag, my German Sheplet, Chewie.


One of the things I love about blogging is the ability to make friends with people like Amy. Her current homeis on the other side of the world. We have so much in common, yet half a world divides us.

Our home defines us and in the same way it also brings us together.

I love pinning inspirational quotes. Here are some of the Pinterestingways other people define home.


How do you define homeand where is your true home?
  
PS - Thanks for having me Amy! (Ed: You're very welcome, V!)

A little bit about me:
Im a blog-writing, snap-happy, wifey, mommy and traveler. You can call me V. My blog, Life+1, chronicles the things I love in life, plus some random stuff like giraffes drinking water and meeting celebrities in odd places. Stop by and say hi sometime. Id love to have you along for the journey.

13 comments:

  1. I can relate to having different homes so much. It would be hard to choose just one place--so I avoid the 'where are you from?" question since I figure whoever's asking usually doesn't want a long-winded story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip, Amy! I love the quote "Home is where your story begins". Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your trip back! Hope everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all goes well and excited to read about your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the concept of 'home' is so different to everyone. I think that you can have as many 'homes' as you want. I call Brisbane, Hervey Bay, Australia in general & London home. It gets confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice couple of places to call 'home'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me I always say the UK even though it doesn't feel like home any more. Having lots of places you identify as home must be tough at times, although it also must be lovely to know you've got such special places to return to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, my lovely! It was a great post - I loved the idea of slow paced life in the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Shannon!


    It's a great quote - V has a great Pinterest board with all sorts of quotes about home which really touched my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks my dear. Hope all is going well in Costa Rica! Like what I see on Instagram so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Bailie. I'm excited to get settled so I can start experiencing and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely. It's different for everyone, and that's what makes it such an interesting topic to contemplate!

    ReplyDelete